Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Two Steps Forward, One Big Step Back

So I decided to really focus on being healthier this year. I had torn the cartilidge in my knee in November and it took a long time to heal to the point that I could walk to exercise.

However, it did finally heal and I began walking on the treadmill and had increased up to the point that I was walking a little over 2 miles in 30 minutes. I was also sometimes doing a walking video at home and feeling good that I was making some progress. I'd even lost a few pounds!

Last week, I injured my knee again. Not really sure how, but it hurts in the same place and as a fun bonus, it hurts like crazy in NEW places too! (big dejected sigh). I'm so discouraged. And living in a townhouse isn't helping with all the stairs we have. I'm particularly frustrated because my dad had orthoscopic surgery last week to fix his knee problem, which is similar to mine, and he walked out with less pain than he'd had in the previous 9 months. I would love to have the same thing done, but my doctor isn't cooperating because my pain comes and goes - it's not cooperative enough to be consistent. I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac and yet I know that something really is wrong.

Compared to 4 years ago when I had cancer and blood clots in my heart and lungs, this is no big deal. But it doesn't change the fact that I'm discouraged...

OK, I'm done whining. I'm off to a meeting.

No comments: