Monday, April 21, 2008

Seven Year Itch

Today is Gary’s and my 7th wedding anniversary. My friend D asked me yesterday at lunch if I was itchy (“7-year itch”). I replied, “No, I took a Zyrtec this morning.” Ha ha.

I am married to the most phenomenal man. He chose ME out of all the women in the world. ME! Our courtship was a whirlwind – we met in March, went on our first date on May 27th, talked about getting married in July, looked at rings in August, got engaged in November, and were married the following April. But it was amazing, and it still is. Sure, it’s not all thunderclaps and clanging bells anymore…sometimes it’s a child wretching in the back seat, but there’s no one I’d rather “do life” with than him.

I think one of the moments that stands out the most in our marriage was the day that my hair started falling out from chemo. It was November 13, 2003. That night, I asked Gary to shave my head for me so I didn’t have to worry about shedding hair all over the house. I think it was the saddest I’d ever seen him. When he was done, I took a shower, and when I got out and put on my pajamas, he looked at me and said, “Honey, you are still so beautiful to me.” I never loved him more. He has been my cheerleader, my champion, my constant friend and during treatment, he was also my security blanket. I was frantic if he left my side.

We have now settled into a wonderful companionship together, and immensely enjoy being parents together. But we also still love spending time alone together. Date nights are our favorite - it's a chance to sit and just talk (without cutting anyone's meat, changing a diaper or telling one of the girls to stop talking long enough so we can get in a word edgewise). It's precious time.

Sweetheart, I'd marry you all over again if you asked. Thanks for seven wonderful years - and here's to the next seven years! I love you and am so proud to be your wife.

And, since you're a Texan, and I'm the wife of a dedicated Texan...Happy San Jacinto Day too. :)

No comments: