Friday, August 15, 2008

Chemo. The Gift That Keeps on Giving

So, it's a little after 1:30 AM CDT and I'm still awake. Why, you ask? Because I had chemo five years ago. Guess what residual side effects I still have? Insomnia and hot flashes. They say that only gets more intense as you approach menopause. Yippy.

Since I went to bed the first time at around 11 pm, I've watched Letterman, eaten a bowl of cereal, checked my email several times, read a few stories on People.com, printed the directions to the outlet mall I'm going to tomorrow (uh, today), watched the women's Olympic gymnastics all-around final, realized that I forgot to RSVP to 2 weddings this summer (not like me at all), and had random thoughts such as:
  • What to get my mom for Christmas
  • Should I go ahead and just hang my new toile shower curtain or will I regret that I didn't wash and iron it first?
  • What posessed clothing people to make size 6x for girls? Why not 7x or 8x?
  • I forgot to buy cucumbers at Kroger today
  • Did I tell my grandmother I loved her enough during my recent visit?
  • Why do I only have insomnia when I have somewhere to be the next morning?
  • Why is the Halloween candy already out in stores?
  • How do you know when you're done having children?

I thought about taking a Tylenol PM to help me sleep, but at this point, I wouldn't wake up until noon, and giving a curious 2-year-old free reign of the house is not in my best interest.

I think I might go make a batch of cookies. If you're up, give me a call. I'll probably answer.

1 comment:

Jessica Middleton said...

hmmmmm.....although Ive never had chemo, I can relate to sleepless nights. Thanks for putting some comedy in the mix of everything and making me feel normal. Miss you guys :)