Friday, December 5, 2008

I'll Have the Side of Vegetables, Please

OK, I am giddy. I have figured out how to start hiding pureed vegetables in the stuff I make and my family can't tell the difference. I know, I lead a pathetic existence. But seriously - if I'm not looking out for them, who will?

I bought Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, Deceptively Delicious, last summer on eBay. I hadn't been able to take the time to really look at it and start pureeing the veggies until recently. My niece also told me that she was doing it.

Did you know that if you hide a 1/4 cup of cauliflower in scrambled eggs or pancakes, you can't taste it?

Did you know that you can make homemade chicken nuggets and dip them in pureed sweet potatoes before you bread and bake them? No one knows!

I have successfully hidden pumpkin and cauliflower in food this week and my kids gobbled it up (the hubby liked it too). It's an all-natural high!

I'm looking now in my cookbook for some other recipes. I steamed and pureed (and froze in 1/4 cup increments) broccoli, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and cauliflower.

Forget the fries, kids - we're having vegetables for dinner!

1 comment:

NotinKSAnymore said...

Sounds like a book I need to add to my Christmas wish list! At one point when Katie was tiny I hid squash in her grilled cheese. Thanks for the recommendation!