Friday, February 1, 2008

I Think I Have a Technology Disability

I have a confession to make. Even though I love my blackberry, I’m a complete technology-phobe. Is there a clinical term for that? I have an MP3 player that I got as a gift last summer, but have never downloaded any music onto it – I’m afraid of it. I know, I’m a wimp. People tell me an MP3 player will transform my life. I’m not so sure. If my walkman from the 1980’s (the best decade EVER) still works, why would I need an MP3 player? I just figured out how to master the use of my disc-man! And don’t get me started on the Tivo thing. My VCR still blinks 12:00. One of the reasons my husband and I had kids is so that they can help us fix the satellite when it goes out!

My husband, on the other hand, is drawn to technology and various gadgets like a “hawk on a June bug” (to quote my father). He lives and breathes this stuff. He just got a phone that apparently can function as a phone, TV, email, and simultaneously direct planes to land at Dulles. All I know is that his phone (despite the cost) has YET to change the laundry from the washer to the dryer. Harrumph. Not terribly useful in my mind.

So, if there’s someone out there who can explain to me how to use my MP3 player IN PLAIN ENGLISH (with some “feeling words” thrown in so I won’t feel totally ill-at-ease), let me know. Until then, I’ll continue to write my blog entries with pencil and paper. Ha ha.

No comments: