Friday, February 1, 2008

Shake What Your Momma Gave Ya

It’s a rainy day here. It’s POURING, it’s very grey, and very winter-like. West of us, they have ice, so I’m grateful it’s just rain. But definitely a “stay in your jammies and watch a movie” kind of day. After Leah woke up this morning, I put her in the pack-n-play in our room so I could get ready for work. She was in there playing for awhile, and I was blow drying my hair. She was playing with one of her electronic Elmo toys (next to my husband, Elmo is the most popular guy in our house), and she hit something on it that made it start playing a song. I turned around to look at her, and she was standing in the pack-n-play with her back to me, and just dancing her little booty off. I’ve never seen a kid dance with her whole body the way she was doing it. Her hair was dancing, her arms and little chubby hands were dancing, and her toes were dancing – she was boogying like crazy, completely uninhibited. It was hilarious.

Isn’t it funny how the weather can affect our moods? I was feeling very sluggish – not really terribly enthusiastic about anything. Then I saw Leah. She has no idea that it’s raining and yucky outside. She just heard something she enjoyed, and she celebrated. It reminded me to be more like that. When I finished chemo, I remember thinking “I will never take anything for granted again.” But life gets in the way sometimes. I’m glad I have my girls – who don’t know to be inhibited - to remind me to celebrate the little things, to enjoy being alive, and shake what my momma gave me. :)

No comments: