Thursday, August 14, 2008

Home Sweet West Coast

The girls and I just spent 9 days in Oregon/Washington seeing my parents, my brother and sister-in-law, and extended family, including my grandmother. She’s been failing lately, and a series of seizures has caused her cognitive abilities to diminish. I was happy to be able to spend several days with her, have the girls see her, and take some pictures of her with the girls. Here are some of those great pictures! My gram is very special to me – she was only 48 when I was born and we have spent a lot of time together over the years…I love her dearly and was so pleased that she recognized me. She had a harder time remembering the girls but considering the fact that she has 23 or 24 grandchildren (including spouses), and 7 great-grandchildren, she’s doing well to remember us! We had a wonderful time with our extended family and the girls had a great time playing with their fellow second cousins…It was relaxing, the weather was amazing and we hated to leave.

We also spend a few days at my parents’ house in Oregon – they have an incredible yard and our days were spent relaxing and dining on the deck, the girls swam in the wading pool and ran through the sprinkler, went to parks, and played in the yard. The weather was cool and crisp at night and warm and dry during the day, and almost always sunny. My favorite time of day there during the summer is when I first wake up – the windows in the bedroom are open and the air is cool, sweet smelling from the sprinklers being on, and so pure that you feel like you’re breathing pure oxygen. I found myself breathing deeply and taking it all in – the air in Texas is not quite like that- it’s definitely more humid!

We missed Daddy (he had to stay home for orientation for his new job) and we are glad to be home with him. It’s nice to be in our own beds again.

No comments: