Thursday, July 31, 2008

Welcome to the South

Yesterday, the girls and I ran to Potbelly while we were out doing errands to grab a bite of lunch. We had just ordered our sandwiches and were getting ready to pay, when AC said to the cashier: “We just moved here from Washington, DC” (not really sure why she felt compelled to share this but this was one of the less embarrassing things she’s shared so I was OK with it). The cashier said, “Really? My name is Jim, and I moved here 2 years ago from Chevy Chase!” Quickly, another employee said, “Hi! I’m Carla, and I used to live in VA Beach. It’s so nice to meet you. Can I help you find anything here in The Woodlands? Do you need directions anywhere?”

I was very aware at this point that we were holding up the line. I got my debit card out to pay, and Jim said, “Nope. It’s on us today. We’re just glad to have you here and want to welcome you to your new home.” If this had been DC, that never would have happened. By this time, the Type B personalities in line would have been looking at their watches, sighing loudly and rolling their eyes. And the Type A’s would have been yelling by now. Instead, when I turned around, everyone was smiling, waving “hello” and saying “Welcome!” I was so shocked. It made me smile the rest of the day. I do get a little impatient with how slow things are, but I think it will be good for me.

I cannot believe how much my anxiety level has gone down since we moved. It's amazing. I think this is just what the doctor ordered. :)

1 comment:

Jessica Middleton said...

What a sweet story! I'm loving TEXAS!